Blue Hot Spring of Hell, Umi-jigoku in Beppu
The most popular tourist attraction in Beppu, Oita Prefecture, is the “Hell Tour” 「Jigoku Meguri, 地獄巡遊」. There are 8 jigoku hot springs, all with unique features.
This is Umi-jigoku 「海地獄」, known as “Ocean” or “Sea” Hell. Technically it’s a hot spring, but you’re not going to be swimming in it… The blue water of this onsen looks cool, but is bubbling away at 98°C.
Umi-jigoku is a National Site of Scenic Beauty.
There is another smaller red/orange hot spring within the Umi-jigoku site called Akaike Hell. The site isn’t too big, but there is lots to see and do, so while you could rush through in 20 minutes, it’s best to take at least an hour to see everything on offer.
There are many vantage points to see the main Umi-jigoku hot spring, from on the mountain, up close at ground level and the “observation deck”.
Things to do at Umi-jigoku Onsen
- Visit the “White Dragon” shrine.
- Browse the souvenir shop.
- See the gallery, also a mini-museum with history about the hot spring.
- Eat at the restaurant featuring “Hell Steamed Pudding” and chanpon, a noodle dish with an egg steamed in the waters of Umi-jigoku.
- At a more appropriate temperature you can enjoy a foot bath 「ayushi, 足湯」 for 200円 you can buy a towel from the souvenir shop.
Umi-jigoku Opening Hours and Admission Fee
Open 8AM to 5PM everyday.
Entry for adults is 400円.
How to get to Umi-jigoku Hot Spring
By bus from Beppu Station, take the Kamenoi bus number 2, 5, 9, 24 or 41 and get off at the Umi-jigoku-mae station. The trip takes about 20 minutes.
Leave a Comment